Between 1806 and 1817 the seven foundations of the early days in the villages surrounding Ruillé, increased rapidly and spread into 12 Dioceses. In nine years, the communities grew from seven to 52.
As anti-clerical laws were promulgated in France the General Council of the Congregation reflected on the situation of the teaching Sisters who at risk of losing their right to teach. They looked for possibilities that would enable them to continue to teach and care for the sick in other countries: first of all in England, then in Belgium and finally in the Netherlands.
Foundation in England: 1896
Foundation in Belgium: 1897
Foundation in the Netherlands: 1902
The United States
As early as 1840, at the request of the Bishop of Vincennes in Indiana, Mother Marie Lecor agreed to a foundation there.
Very quickly this foundation became the Congregation of
The first Superior General was Mother Théodore Guérin who was canonised in 2006.
In 1947, a new call came to Ruillé. The Government of Sri Lanka (Ceylon at that time) was asking for Religious Sisters to work in a TB Hospital.
Six Sisters were sent. In 1963 the European Sisters were expelled, but native Sisters were able to continue the mission of the Sisters of Providence in their country.